Monday, July 28, 2008

Alone

I was reading last years journal and how the Lord wanted me alone with Him… “you want me alone with you, the phone is dead, the computer is having difficulties…just alone with you and that I might hear your voice and you might whisper to me about your covenant of love…”

Why would the Lord want us to be alone with Him? I guess this is very simple, being alone with the Lord means the absence of distractions. It means humility when we feel like no one else loves us, and what a better place for Him to show us about His love when we feel like we have none. It develops a stronger spirit because where our flesh decreases, our spirit increases. So being alone with the Lord means really amazing growth in our lives if we allow ourselves to be focused on Him.

Being alone with the Lord is a place where He can teach us about listening. So when we’re alone, if we’re always complaining about everything that we don’t have; friends, family and activities that He makes and that He’s in charge of, then how can we hear when He gives us a compliment or wants to talk about His love for us?

Help us to listen more carefully for the Lord’s voice, not the lies of the enemy, especially when we’re alone with Jesus. Let us take every thought captive, give it to Him and ask Him to return to us the truth…what are the lies that we have believed?

Sometimes it helps to write or journal about the lies, what is at the core belief of the lie.

For example if someone believes that they look fat, they might say to the Lord, “Lord today I feel fat, but show me the truth of this feeling.”
The core belief is that I'm not ok if I am fat. First we can address that with the truth that the Lord loves us no matter what state we're in. Second we can look for the truth in His making of our bodies as His own temple. How are we treating the temple of the Lord? Are we eating healthy, exercising regularly, sleeping adequately? He might direct the person to take measurements so that they're looking at reality, not listening to how they feel, but again, no matter what state we're in His love is unconditional.

Another might say, “Lord you’re never going to bring the right job into my life, but show me the truth in that.”
The core belief is that the right job is really important, but Jesus might comment back to you, “Haven’t I always put you in the right place and haven’t I always provided for you. How important is a job to you? Is a job really what you want or is it a ministry where you can serve me and be all about me? I know you have bills to pay, but maybe, just maybe I will show myself faithful and true to you as your Provider. Haven’t I been doing this over the years for you?

It’s just awesome when He guides us, but usually the best guidance comes when we’re alone with Him and sometimes that’s painful, but when we give into Him and take everything that’s bothering us and lay it at His feet, He’s faithful to cover us with truth and His promised everlasting love.

Jer 31:3 The Lord appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness.

No comments: