Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Distraction

It seems that many distractions are in the world, problems with friends, problems with family, problems with relationships, the desire for employment, the desire for marriage, even the desire for ministries. How we hold onto these things at times in a form of idolatry and how we need to let them go in order to have a right relationship with God. One of the best ways to let go is through fasting.

My friend made a comment Sunday night about fasting, "True fasting is when your heart is so set on something that you don't want to talk about food."
Of course that something is Jesus!!!

Let’s worship Him in Spirit and in Truth: Let God arise, let God arise, Our God reigns now and forever, He reigns now and forever!!!

Oh how I want my heart to be so set on Him, that my entire life would be a fast set apart for His glory (no I don't want to become a nun, just glorify Him in all things!). I attempted to make it my practice yesterday to fast my thoughts about distractions and it was a fairly successful day. I can’t help but lift up friends, family, problems and desires in prayer. When I did, I attempted to pray the truth about the topic, for example if there was a desire in my heart I prayed, “Lord you know this desire is here and I know that you know my heart even better than I. I can trust you with this desire, that you can hold onto it for me, you can take it off of my heart so that I’m not pained by distraction from you in any way.”

After the prayer was said, the thoughts had to be quickly disciplined back to Jesus so that they wouldn’t linger on anything more than to be lifted up to the Lord. This is difficult, but I found much strength in the practice of fasting my thoughts.

The results that I experienced during the day into the evening were an increase in joy and clarity in my mind, fear and stress left me and worship practice even went well. Afterwards, I felt so encouraged that truly I didn’t want to talk about food or any earthly desire, I just wanted MORE JESUS!”

I’m sure this is the best cure for much of our psychological and some medical problems too. It does make sense that focusing on the Lord would bring us health. He says that if we keep our minds steadfast on Him then He will keep us in perfect peace.

We’re always going to struggle because there are many things to be desired and many things happen each day in our circumstances to distract us, but we must be strong in the Lord and take our thoughts captive. If we being full of Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit cannot control our thoughts, which highly influence our behaviors, how are we to lead others in our ultimate goal of getting saved? I can guarantee they won’t be saved by the leading of our fleshly desires, hopes or dreams!

Scriptures for further study:
Jhn 16:33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

Ecc 11:10 So then, banish anxiety from your heart and cast off the troubles of your body, for youth and vigor are meaningless.

Hbr 12:2 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Jhn 8:31-32 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

2Cr 10:5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

Isa 26:3 You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.

1Ki 3:14 And if you walk in my ways and obey my statutes and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life."

All scripture references were retrieved from http://www.blueletterbible.org on July 29, 2008.

No comments: